Saturday, March 12, 2011

Supporting Canterbury

12.51pm on February 22, 2011 Canterbury was struck by a devastating earthquake. New Zealand's Garden City changed for ever. The earthquake killed more than 160 people, destroying many homes and heritage buildings and affecting tens of thousands of citizens. 


I, like many other New Zealanders sat glued to my tv as it showed me the hugely devastating scenes, in shock. I didn't want to watch it, but I couldn't turn it off. I sat in my comfy couch crying, thinking of all the people out there struggling to get to their families, parents trying to get across town to fetch their children from child care/school/kindy, not knowing if they will find the building in one piece. 
I spent a lot of time crying, and feeling helpless. I couldn't get a hold of my brother or his fiancée. I wanted to help, but had no idea how. Finally Mum rung to let me know my brother and fiancée were safe. Sadly the same couldn't be said for others. Lives lost, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, children-gone. 


It is in this time of need that we have seen countless acts of human generosity. Company after company donating time, resources, people and money. People collecting money, food and goods, churches organising collection points and of course the countries who sent their search and rescue people. Then there are the people who donated their time, the ones cooking meals and delivering them to peoples doors-or of course those who work in the rescue forces-fire fighters, ambulance crews, doctors, army and navy men/women. Those who risked their lives to save the lives of others. 


Canterbury still needs our help. 

Welly walks the walk for Chirstchurch-26th March 2011. People will be walking 10k to raise money for the Red Cross-do your bit! I will be out there walking with my two girls. If you can't make it-donate :)
Or if you are in Auckland you could do the walk organised there. Details are here.


This weekend is the Kilbirnie Fair. Make sure you check out these stalls.
phil & ted will be selling gears at silly low prices with 100% of the $$$$$ going to Christchurch
(You can also purchase and donate online at www.philandteds.com)
Mokopuna Merino will also be selling stock at low prices. All $$$s will be winging its way to Christchurch
Mountain Buggy will be doing its bit to help, low prices with  100% of the sale going to those in Christchurch.
These three companies where at the Newtown Fair doing the same thing and managed to raise over $1500. Read about it here.

Welly walks the walk for Chirstchurch-26th March 2011. People will be walking 10k to raise money for the Red Cross-do your bit! I will be out there walking with my two girls. If you can't make it-donate :)
Or if you are in Auckland you could do the walk organised there. Details are here.

If you know of other great fundraising going on leave a comment-share it with me (and those who read my blog) please.

2 comments:

  1. Why hi Mel and thanks for your comment on my blog. Just peeked at your blog space, and see that you've promoted the walk I've set up - so awesome thanks. I would love to have you join us on the walk :-) Maybe send me an email at meghanmaloney1 at gmail.com so I have your email address as I'll be sending out more details on the day closer to the time. Any friends and family that would like to support you can do so via the www.fundraiseonline.co.nz/WellyWalksTheWalk page too.

    Great stuff :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yah! Another Welly blogger! I'm doing the walk too so I shall very much look forward to meeting you :)

    ReplyDelete